The world's largest collection of
Groom Speech Material
Packed with model speeches, witty lines, charming anecdotes and smart observations to help you create a memorable wedding speech in no time.
Groom Speech Explained
The groom is expected to make a heartfelt speech. The groom's first job is to echo the father of the bride's welcoming sentiments and pay tribute to both sets of parents, along with anyone else he deems relevant. Compliments towards the bride and bridesmaids are advised, a comedic pass at a family member is expected, and a sly dig at the appearance of the ushers never goes amiss. After the formalities are out of the way you'll probably want to share a story about how you and your new wife met.
Groom Speech Tips
- Talk like you're actually married with plenty of 'we' rather than 'I'.
- Thank everyone you're supposed to, i.e. the mother, bridesmaids, caterers, the bride's sperm donor father etc.
- If you only do two things, simply say how beautiful your bride is and communicate your gratitude to your in-laws.
- Stories must be broad enough for everyone to understand. Don't include material of the 'You had to be there' variety.
- Infuse your speech with wit. Wedding speech humour is best delivered dry, unexpected and with a straight face.
- Don't make fun of your bride or the mother-in-law, it's safer to make yourself the punchline.
- Personalise the speech by adding experiences and observations that are unique to you and your bride.
- Do not forget to acknowledge your parents with a few affectionate words.
- Keep the speech shorter than ten minutes. Too much detail weakens the impact. If it doesn't add to the story - take it out.
- Your last words before a toast should always demonstrate the love you have for your bride.
Speeches & Dress Sense
Weddings provide the perfect opportunity for even the most casually-minded folks to tart themselves up and dress to impress. However, unfortunately not everyone gets the memo when it comes to formal attire, and sometimes this even includes the people taking part! With the suits and dresses being such a big part of ...
"Wedding dresses are a lot like gym memberships; it doesn't matter how much you spend, you'll only use it once, and they're tough to get out of."
"I'm a bit nervous about the first dance, later, I must admit. I tried taking waltz lessons, but it didn't work out… for the whole course, it was two steps forward, one step back!"
"We were planning to get married in 2010 but there was a sudden fall in a big investment I'd made … at the final hurdle of the Grand National."
"I'm going to wind things up now, because for the first time in my life, I've got TWO sets of parents who're going to disapprove if I say the wrong thing!"
GROOM SALUTES HIS MOTHER
A groom explains how he defied the odds by marrying a beautiful woman, much to the amusement of the wedding guests.
Browse the categories below for constantly updated rip-roaring lines to use in your groom speech.
Start Here With Opening Lines
REVEALING THE AMUSING SIDE OF YOUR BRIDE